Advertising for a Conductor for Symphonic Wind Orchestra of North London (SWON)
Application Deadline: 5 September 2021
Application Process: We will shortlist and interview a handful of candidates by 19 September.
Four candidates who pass the interview will be invited to a rehearsal with the band on either 22nd September or 29th September. Please see the bottom of the advert for details on how to apply.
We are a group of about 40-50 friendly, enthusiastic musicians based in East Finchley, North London. Founded in 1998 by Stephen Kersley and Stuart Allen (SWON’s conductor at the time) with a start-up grant from Barnet Council, we have now been producing varied and exciting music for two decades for the interest and enjoyment of the local community. Aside from performing regularly in North London, we enjoy taking our music further afield. Past tours have included concerts in Antwerp in 2007, Reims in 2013, Liverpool in July 2017 and Poole/Bournemouth in June 2018. We planned to visit the Isle of Wight in 2020, but for obvious reasons that had to be postponed, and we now hope to get there in the Summer of 2022. We are committed to producing high quality and enjoyable performances both for our members and the local community, whilst being accessible to all who wish to be involved as the band does not require members to be auditioned.
Due to the pandemic lockdowns and restrictions, the band’s in-person activities have been largely on hiatus since March 2020, but in line with guidance we started up again in a socially-distanced format in May 2021 with temporary conductors for a short, fun, summer term, and have already canvassed the members about returning in the autumn, with a very positive response.
The successful candidate is expected to fulfil the following duties:
- Lead weekly rehearsals every Wednesday from 7:45pm to 9:45pm at St Martin School, East Finchley for 3 terms a year, roughly 11 weeks per term starting in mid-September
- Conduct the band in the 3 concerts annually: Winter Concert, Easter Concert and the Summer Concert
- Curate the programme for the concerts, with input from the committee and band members
- Liaise with the committee on the long-term development and direction of the band
- Increase the library with good quality music to be reused;
- Encourage links with other bands;
- Improve concert and performance opportunities
- Assist the committee with identifying and filling vacant sections/instruments in the band
- Assist the committee with finding suitable players to perform in the concert (this might be one-off soloists, or deps for performances)
SWON pays £110 per 2-hour rehearsal and £220 per concert.
Essential Skills and Experience
We require the successful candidate to have the below experience and skills to ensure success
in the role:
- Previous experience conducting an amateur wind orchestra
- Enthusiasm for developing an orchestra
- Good team player
- Reliable and friendly
- Excellent communication and time keeping skills
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Player of wind, brass or percussion instrument
- Knowledge of wind orchestra repertoire
- Good contacts within wider music community and a willingness to use these contacts to help create new opportunities for the band within the London community and wider
To apply: Please send your CV and a brief covering letter of no more than 500 words detailing
any experience you have and why you think you would be suitable for this position. If you have
any questions about this position, please email Sally at firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to contact
successful candidates by 12th September.